Thursday, June 12, 2014

Makeup Madness: Up Close - Tanya Burr Lip Gloss and Nail Polish

When my friend asked me if I wanted her to buy stuff for me in London, Tanya Burr Cosmetics immediately came to mind. Tanya Burr was one of the first YouTube beauty gurus that I started watching, and her new makeup line was something I really wanted to try. The thing is, it's only available in select stores in the UK. I can't get it here in the Philippines, so I jumped at the chance to get my hands on some of her stuff. Thank you so much Sheva!

Tanya Burr makeup is really pretty and girly. There are a lot of pinks and nudes in the collection, and I liked that because I don't have enough pinks and nudes in my life. I decided to go for one lip gloss and one nail polish so I could try something from each of Tanya Burr's two product lines. I chose the Afternoon Tea lip gloss and the Bright and Early nail polish. (Aren't the names adorable?) Here's what I think of them. [Warning: Long review up ahead!]

Bright and Early + Afternoon Tea

AFTERNOON TEA

The Product

I chose this lip gloss out of all the pinks in the collection because it's such a delicate, nude one. As a fan of bright colors, I needed this kind of muted shade in my makeup collection. 


The first thing that I noticed as soon as I twisted the cap off was the scent. It smells so yummy, like strawberries! It doesn't have that icky chemical taste either. It tastes very pleasant, though I can't pin down exactly what it tastes like. 


The doe-foot applicator deposits just enough gloss on the lips. The formula's smooth and doesn't feel thick at all. It spreads easily and evenly too. 



The Swatch

This gloss looks incredibly natural on the lips. It doesn't come off that glossy and gives the right kind of shine. It's a down-to-earth but very girly kind of color at the same time. The pink is on the beige side, so it comes off as a bit neutral. It's so lovely!


The Mugshot

This was taken while I was out of town in Tagaytay last weekend. It was such a perfect color for just chillin'. It polishes my look without making me appear too made up. 



My Thoughts

I love Afternoon Tea! It feels great, it smells great, and it looks great. The color payoff's awesome, and it's just too pretty for words. The only caveat is that it's a lip gloss and isn't long-wearing, but I don't mind touching it up from time to time. I seriously don't know what I'll do when my one and only tube of it runs out.


BRIGHT AND EARLY

The Product

I was serious when I said that I need pinks in my life. This is why I chose the Bright and Early nail polish. As its name implies, it's a bright, energetic kind of pink. 

  
The color changes with the light though. Sometimes it's a creamy pink and sometimes it's almost neon, but other times it's a somewhat coral one. It doesn't matter however because it always looks so pretty.


Unlike the lip gloss, this doesn't have a yummy scent. It kind of smells like a plastic balloon (Filipino reference), but the scent isn't offensive at all.

The formula was a little thick, and poor manicure-challenged me had to re-do some of my digits. Tip: Make sure that you have the right amount of polish on the brush. It also seemed like it would be streaky at first, but it was very forgiving when it dried.


Applied Science

Two coats were enough to make my nails fully opaque. This lacquer is really shiny but it's pretty hardy and doesn't scratch easily (provided you give it enough time to dry).




My Thoughts

Bright and Early is a fun lacquer and it's perfect for girly days. The formula isn't the easiest to work with, but maybe that's just manicure-challenged me. I can't stand it when my nails aren't perfect and I rarely do them because I have issues with less than stellar polish application. The problem is, I can't do good manicures to save my life.


Last words...

These are totally worth the converted British pounds I had to pay for them. I never thought I would ever think pink, but because of these, I'm a total pink convert!

If these two are any indication, I would say that Tanya Burr's cosmetics line is off to a fabulous start. I can't wait to see what she comes up with next.

Flash perspective

2 comments:

  1. I super like the scent of the lipgloss! It's like candy!

    I'm bummed I didn't get a nail polish. The color is gorgeous! There was mint one that was calling my name but for some reason I didn't get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lipgloss is so nice! I love it.

      Bright and Early is pretty, but I wish I got Peaches and Cream to match the Afternoon Tea gloss. I kind of made an impulse decision when you Vibered at Superdrug haha.

      Thank you so much for getting me these! I adore them so much, they're my current makeup favorites.

      Delete